Monday, September 14, 2009

I feel as if I was born in the wrong era

This is my first blog but instead of talking about the things I like and that yadda yadda, I'm going to jump right into topics.
I feel like I was born in the wrong era. This is not a new age statement or some emo pop song, I swear. Its just the fact that I've been reading Jane Austen books and watching the Horatio Hornblower mini-series. Honestly, even with all the lack of freedoms (which I'm very grateful for) and the horrible medical conditions there are things back in that time I miss. Honor was respected above all else, and expected not just an anomoly that rare few ever have. There were scum bags just like there are now but there were also gentlemen. How many girls have read Austen's Sense and Sensibility and longed for a guy like Colonel Brandon? Where are the gentlemen these days? I've met a few but they seem the exception instead of the rule. I'm so proud of my dear cousins, a whole gaggle of boys who know what it means to be a gentleman. My young cousin, who is not even a preteen yet, pulled out a chair for me and held the door for me. Sadly, this behavior shocked me. I see it so rarely.
Think about a world where we have more gentlemen? Can you imagine it? Can you imagine how different the family structure would be if Dad's came home from work and spent it just talking to their kids instead of watching the game? Can you imagine a world where boyfriends remember what chilvary is?
I was walking through the mall the other day and there was this girl. She was pretty, and shapely in all the right places. She was also wearing a very adorable skirt. Some food of some sort had gotten on it, on her rear actually. Her boyfriend was there and she was wiping off her butt and asking if she got it. My mind, which I hope comes from being a writer but probably has its grounds in being a bit cynical at times, instantly saw how this could turn out. Here it was the chance most guys long for. A legitament not slap worthy reason to touch her butt, and what happened? He didn't. Instead he simply said she had gotten it only. I was so impressed that I felt at that moment like applauding (I didn't because geez that would have been rude right? haha.) How many guys would have done the same?
I'm not writing this to call guys stupid or say how horrible they are. I'm a normal girl, and I like guys. Not afraid to admit it. I dream that one day my own Colonel Brandon will read poetry at my side. I suggest, no I compell, guys to remember the gentlemen of yester year. You want to be attractive to a girl? How about instead of an extra ounce of gel you just open the door for her. How bout you compliment what's in her head instead of what's on her shirt?
And ladies, we could all use a lesson from Austen too...but that is a blog for another time.
-Chris

1 comment:

  1. Couple things:
    -Missed you at youth tonight, get better soon.
    -The video clip is down
    -As cliche as it sounds there's someone special out there for ya. My friend Gabe and I would always talk about how their were no "normal" girls out there when we were at college. Though I do have to agree with you that manners and chilvary seem to be harder to find, but they're out there. =)

    ReplyDelete