Friday, September 18, 2009

Are My Beliefs Making Room For God?

In the math community there are millennium questions. Basically these so far unsolved equations that have been around for ages. Christianity has its own versions. These debates have likely been going on since Christianity existed. Today I found myself trying to grasp the answer to a question people a lot smarter than me never could--its something we young adults try once in a while when we start feeling too big for our britches. Of course, I came to not. In fact, the only thing I got out of the whole experiment was a headache and one soft whispered word in my brain. A prodding of the holy spirit or instinctive wisdom--though I suspicion those are the same thing--I couldn't tell you. All I know is this very clear warning bell rang in my head. "Are your beliefs making room for God?" It kind of hit me that a lot of Christians make the bible fit what we want to believe. I've heard people argue every form of thought from the same verse, but how often do we actually let God shape our beliefs instead of the other way around? I don't pretend I have the answers, and sometimes doubt creeps in. However, the answer Job got rings true to me.

Job 40: 2
“Do you still want to argue with the Almighty?
You are God’s critic, but do you have the answers?”

Then he goes on to say (40: 7)

“Brace yourself like a man,
because I have some questions for you,
and you must answer them."

I challenge you to go read the rest of chapter 40, then on to 41. The sum of it is this. We weren't there when God made everything, but he is just and loving. He is big enough to handle our questions but that doesn't mean we will ever have all the answers. Sometimes, knowing God has to be enough.

“I know that you can do anything,
and no one can stop you.
You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’
It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about,
things far too wonderful for me." -Job 42: 2-3

so I guess, 42 really is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Who knew?

Until next time
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment